Why use a professional interior decorator? Use this guide to find out.
Interior decorators help you put your creative stamp in your home by dealing with decorating, furnishing, and space issues, often in unique ways. Choose an interior decorator whose projects are not only appealing, but have proven practical to build and live in as well.
Interior decorating is not just “having an eye” for color or recognizing quality furniture. It is an extensive discipline that encompasses many specialized areas of expertise, including:
* Colors and how they relate to one another.
* Patterns and how they relate to one another.
* Human perception of space, depth, and texture.
* Compatibility of furniture styles.
* Effective space utilization.
* Specialized painting and stenciling techniques.
* Wide variety of possible window treatments and much more.
The professional decorator has already dug up the best sources for everything from upholstery services to marble pedestals.
Depending on the scope of your project, you may be able to get some or all of their services for free. See “How they charge” below.
How They Charge
While it varies from decorator to decorator, and job to job, decorators usually get most of their compensation through commissions or discounts they negotiate with vendors of products and services. In other words, most of their compensation comes from suppliers, not from you. In many cases, it is also necessary for the decorator to charge a consulting fee. This is usually assessed on an hourly basis or as a flat fee. Always ask about charges and payments before hiring a decorator.
Pick the Right Professional:
* Whose past projects look good to you.
* Who listens well and designs around your wishes rather than their personal sense of style.
* Who has done jobs that are similar in scale and budget to yours.
* Who has experience working with any specialized materials or treatments you are considering for your project.