There are so many things to consider when repainting the exterior of your home. After you choose a painter and decide on the type of paint you want to use, you then have the task of deciding on a color. For some people this comes easily, for others, decorating or changing the exterior of their home is daunting.
Here are some tips for choosing exterior paint colors:
* Stay true to the traditional color scheme for your type of home. For example, a New England Salt Box looks great in blue-gray tones. Victorian homes can have a variety of colors, look at the bottom layer of paint for a clue to your home’s original paint scheme. If your home is in a wooded area, you might want to choose earth tones.
* Many paint stores now offer computer imaging so you can get an idea of the look of the colors you are considering. This way you can avoid a surprise after buying hundreds of dollars worth of paint.
* If, for example, you like a bright yellow or blue color, consider selecting a color in a slightly muted tone. A large area of bright color can have a larger impact than you may want.
* Look at homes in your neighborhood or in decorating magazines. This is a great way to find paint colors. If you like the color of a house in your neighborhood, ask the homeowner if he or she would share the color name and brand of paint they have used. If you find a color scheme you like in a magazine, it is fairly easy to have the colors matched at your local paint store.
* Use pre-selected color schemes from your local paint store. Many paint manufacturers will group complimentary color pallets. These are suggestions for trim, accents and the body of the house.